Interested in Becoming a Member?
We welcome people of all beliefs, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and physical abilities. We believe diversity brings strength.
If you’re considering becoming a Horizon member, we invite you to attend the Inquirers Series, an eight-part series of classes offered on most Sunday, noon to 1:15 PM. Each class and its location will be announced on Sunday from the pulpit.
These classes do not need to be taken in any specific order. Instead, strive to attend as many as possible over time. The Inquirers Series is not required to become a member, but are strongly encouraged. You may complete the series after becoming a member.
You do not need to sign up in advance, just come and attend. Childcare is provided at no cost. Light snacks will be served in the fellowship hall, and you are welcome to get a snack and drink to take to the class. On Potluck Sunday, bring in your plate!
Designed for people considering membership or who new to Horizon or Unitarian Universalism, the Inquirers Classes are welcoming and experiential. In this series, you will:
- Share your religious or spiritual journeys—where you have been as well as where you think you might want to go.
- Learn about the seven principles, six sources, history and traditions of Unitarian Universalism.
- Develop an understanding of how you can nurture your own spirituality as part of Horizon’s community.
- Hear about how you can become involved in the life of the church.
- Expand your circle of friends and learn how Horizon “works.”
Faith Forward: Inquirers Series Class schedule for Spring 2018
Jan. 7 Q&A with the Minister
Jan. 14 UU History, Principles and Sources
Jan. 21 Campus tour and orientation
Jan. 28 (no class)
Feb. 4 Faith Development
Feb. 11 (no class)
Feb. 18 Worship and Liturgical Year
Feb. 25 Social Action and Community Service
Mar. 4 Pastoral Care and Small Groups
Mar. 11 Membership 101 and Congregational Life
Mar. 18 Q&A with the Minister
Mar. 25 UU History, Principles and Sources
Apr. 1 (no class)
Apr. 8 Campus tour and orientation
Apr. 15 Faith Development
Apr. 22 Worship and Liturgical Year
Apr. 29 Social Action and Community Service
May 6 Pastoral Care and Small Groups
May 13 Membership 101 and Congregational Life
May 20 (no class)
May 27 (no class)
How to Become a Member
At any time during the series, you may choose to become a member of Horizon!
To become an active, voting member of Horizon Unitarian Universalist Church:
- Attend services and church social activities as often as you are able. Continue to attend church classes or join a small group to deepen your own spiritual practices.
- Make a financial pledge to Horizon to become a full voting member. Strive towards “the modern tithe” of 5% of your income. You may use the convenience of auto-draft to pay your pledge. Gifts of all levels are valued and appreciated!
- Volunteer by using your time, talents and experience for the good of the church. A great starting place is to serve as a greeter before the service or on the hospitality team.
- Serve the church and our larger community by participating in social justice programs. Help us bring to life our covenant to treat every person with respect and compassion.
If you’d like to find out more information about Horizon before joining:
- Attend as many Inquirers Classes as possible.
- Make an appointment to visit with the Reverend Lora Brandis.
- Visit the Welcome Center to chat with the volunteers before or after the Sunday service.
- Participate in one of our Soul Matters small groups, an Adult Religious Education class, or a spiritual practices class such as the Practical Buddhism Group.
- Volunteer for a Horizon social event, social justice gathering or religious education event to get to know others at Horizon.
- Join a small group to get to know members and new friends.