One terrific way to meet Horizon members is through our monthly Horizon Dinners. We meet on the third Saturday of each month. The group is re-shuffled each month, so you have the opportunity to get to know lots of long-time and new members. Typically, the host provides the appetizers and drinks, and all the guests bring the rest of the meal. The host, of course, specifies how many people they have room for, and the groups are set up accordingly. Many people are unable to ever host, and that's okay, too. Everyone is contributing to the success of the dinner.
Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions about Horizon dinners:
– the third Saturday of most months (holidays, summer vacations, etc. permitting)
How does it work?
– Each month you check your Horizon Happenings newsletter for a list of the Horizon Dinners that month. You will either be listed as a Host or as a Guest at someone else’s home.
– usually provides the home, drinks, and appetizers
– provide the Main Course, Salad, Side Dishes, Desserts, etc.
– you need to contact your guests to coordinate who’s bringing what.
– don’t wait to be contacted. Call your host to see what you can bring! Your host will really appreciate it!!
How many times will I Host?
– usually only twice a year – unless you prefer to host more often.
What if I can’t host, or don’t wish to?
– just indicate that on your sign up card and you will not be selected to host. Be sure to let me know if your situation changes and you become available for hosting.
What if I know in advance I can’t host and/or attend a specific month?
– just let me know and I will temporarily remove you for that month.
Oops! I forgot to let you know in advance!
– this can be handled, too. If you’re a guest – let your host know you can’t make it and offer to find a substitute from the Sub List. If you’re a Host – first contact your guests and see if one of them is willing to host for you. If not, contact other hosts to see if they can absorb a few guests (They may also have cancellations).
Is there a set format for the dinner?
– NO!!!! Each dinner can be as simple, formal, or unique as the host wishes to make it. Have dinner inside or outside - Make if formal or casual Arrange it around a Theme - Polynesian Luau, Mexican Fiesta, Backyard Bar-b-que, Etc – let your imagination go! Meet for dinner somewhere else – how about a concert in the park?! Have dinner and then go to some other event afterwards Make it a progressive dinner, moving from one house to another Include the kids and make it a family affair.
How do I sign up?!
Fill out a Horizon Dinner sign up form and drop it in the box (forms & box in the Horizon Dinners niche in the church lobby). Be sure your email address and phone # is clear and readable!! Or, email dinners[at]horizonuu.org .
Sounds good, but can't commit to every month?
– Please sign up to be on the substitute list!